Someone (let’s call him Mr. T) came to us a few weeks ago with a true story that he experienced.
One night about 2am, his elderly neighbour came knocking hysterically on his door crying for help as her electrical socket in her living room caught fire. Mr. T ran over and saw the socket burning; the fire was about the size of a 1 metre by 1 metre area.
He quickly ran to the toilet at the back, search for a pail and start filling it up with water. It took about 1-2 minutes to have the pail filled. He ran back to the living room and noticed that the fire has gotten much bigger. He splashed the pail of water onto the fire but there was not much effect. The fire was almost 3 metre by 3 metre. By then, the heat was intense, so he when back to his house to fill the water pail.
The second time he returned with the pail of water, the fire has already engulfed half of the living room. Both Mr. T and the elderly neighbour stood outside the burning unit helpless.
…Fires double in size every 60 seconds, or even more if there are combustible materials nearby fueling the fire. In this era where most of our houses are smaller, with furniture sitting shoulder to shoulder, a fire tends to spread even faster.
Fire risks at home: Unattended cooking, naked flames, cheap portable chargers, over exerted power points. Home fire risk is much higher than you think.
ALL fires start small.
Early detection = Fast action taking = Minimal damage
We do not know what happened to the elderly neighbour. Most likely she had to stay somewhere else for the cleaning and renovations. Imagine the inconvenience, the damage and cost incurred, and not forgetting the liability she may have if her neighbour living upstairs sues her for the damages.
One fire could destroy your life.
All these could be prevented if she had some form of fire equipment at home.